Thursday, December 2, 2010

QUINOA AND POMEGRANATE SALAD

I ended up with a pomegranate in my kitchen. I almost threw it away. I didn't think I liked pomegranates. I was recipe surfing when I found this recipe for a quinoa and pomegranate salad. I had all the ingredients in the pantry so I thought...what the heck, I'll give it a try.

First I cut the pomegranate in half and then put a bowl in the sink and started banging the outside of the pomegranate with a rolling pin. The seeds just flew out. Within minutes I had a nice bowl of pomegranate seeds.

I had a mix of nuts and cranberries that I thought would taste good in the salad so I chopped some up.
Cooked a cup of quinoa, mixed in some fresh spinach, added the nuts and made a pomegranate dressing. This was not only really good but really healthy.

                           QUINOA AND POMEGRANATE SALAD

1 cup quinoa
2 cups reduced salt chicken stock. One can is not quite 2 cups so I added water to make 2 cups.
2 oz. fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped. I used a whole bag (6oz.) because I love spinach.
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 pomegranate, seeds extracted. I used a whole one.
1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped. I used the Trader Joe Mix.

DRESSING
4 TBSP. extra virgin olive oil
2 TBSP. red wine vinegar
1 TBSP. pomegranate molasses
salt and pepper

Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve, drain, then place in a medium saucepan with the chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for about 10 minutes, until the quinoa is soft and the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Fluff up the quinoa with a fork, then combine with the spinach, cranberries and pomegranate seeds. Pour the dressing over and toss. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve. I mixed the TJ's nut mix in before I added the dressing and tossed it all together.

This was really good and I liked the crunch of the pomegranate seeds.

No comments: