Tuesday, February 15, 2011

MEXICAN CORN BREAD


Oh My Gosh.....this is so good. It's not really Corn Bread, it is more like a casserole, but it is DELISH.

I make this once every year or two. It usually takes me that long to collect 1/2 cup of bacon fat. Yes, 1/2 cup....but that is what puts this recipe over the top. I just pour my bacon grease in a container and keep it in the freezer until I have enough to make this.

                                                   MEXICAN CORN BREAD


1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup whole milk
2 eggs, well beaten
½ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
1- 16oz. can cream style corn
½ cup bacon drippings

¾ lb. hamburger meat
1 medium onion
½ lb. Cheddar cheese
4 jalapeno peppers

Mix first 7 ingredients and set aside.  Brown and drain hamburger meat.  Chop onion, grate cheddar cheese and chop jalapenos. 

Heat cast iron skillet, grease and sprinkle with corn meal.  Pour in half of corn batter, and then layer meat, cheese, onions and peppers, then rest of the corn batter.

Bake one hour at 325~

Make sure to beat eggs before adding to batter so it will hold together.


My friend Bart gave me this recipe many years ago.



No comments: