Wednesday, March 23, 2011

CORNED BEEF IN THE CROCK POT






I made a crock pot Corned Beef for St. Patrick's Day. I liked the fact that I could throw it in the pot in the morning and leave for the day.The Guinness really gave it a great flavor. I served it with garlic mashed potatoes and some cabbage that I sauteed in some bacon fat.

O'Ronald really liked this dinner. He suggested that I use the left over broth for French Onion Soup. I'm going to make that tonight and THEN....Corned Beef, Sauerkraut, Swiss Cheese on Rye Paninis for dinner tomorrow night. Woo Hoo!

Oh, O'Ronald's dish looks a little messy. Here is mine.


                                                    CROCK POT CORNED BEEF

6 carrots, cut into chunks
2 onions, chopped
2-3 pound Corned Beef Brisket with seasoning packet
12 oz. can beer (I used Guinness Stout)
2 TBSP. yellow mustard (I used Creole Mustard)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup water

In a 4-6 quart crock pot, combine carrots and onions. Rinse corned beef under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Place in crock pot and sprinkle with contents of seasoning mix. Pour beer over brisket and spread mustard on brisket. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar with water and pour over brisket. Cover crock pot and cook on low setting for 10-12 hours.

To serve, cut corned beef across grain into thin slices. Remove the carrots and serve, spooning cooking juices over the food. Offer additional mustard on the side.

Save the liquid. It makes the best French Onion Soup.

No comments: