Monday, April 11, 2011

SPICED CAULIFLOWER AND POTATOES




I've been craving comfort food lately. I think it might be the changing of the season. Spring is here, yet it still feels like winter is trying to hang on. Maybe it's because in a few weeks the crock pot will return to the closet and my plate will be filled with all the loveliness of spring. In winter I crave stews, soups, roasts, casseroles, and Indian food. The fragrant Indian spices always warm me up.

Aloo Gobi is a hearty dish of cauliflower, potatoes and aromatic spices. When I saw this recipe from "The Indian Slow Cooker" book I knew it was written for me. I have two more crock pot recipes (or I guess they call them slow cookers now) to make and then I'm jumping into Spring!


                                         SPICED CAULIFLOWER AND POTATOES

2 large cauliflowers, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces (about 8 cups)
2 large potatoes (russet or yellow), peeled and diced
1 medium yellow or red onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 medium tomato, diced
2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or grated
3-4 green Thai, serrano, or cayenne chilies, cored and chopped
1 TBSP. whole cumin seeds
1 TBSP. red chili powder
1 TBSP. garam masala
1 TBSP. salt
1 tsp. turmeric powder
3 TBSP. vegetable oil or canola oil
1 heaping TBSP. chopped fresh cilantro

In a 4-5 quart slow cooker, combine all ingredients except the cilantro. Mix well.

Cook on low for 3 hours (mine was not done at 3 hours, I recommend 5-6 hours but it might be my crock pot). Mix once or twice during cooking, especially in the beginning. Eventually the cauliflower will release enough liquid to prevent anything from sticking to the sides of the cooker.

 Add the cilantro (I sprinkled mine on top) and mix well but gently so as not to break up the cauliflower.

Makes 6 servings.

Recipe adapted from Anupy Singla's "The Indian Slow Cooker"

No comments: