Sunday, August 28, 2011

SAUSAGE STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS



The squash and melon plants are taking over the hillside. I thought I was keeping on top of the picking but I found one giant squash hiding beneath the leaves. I'm sure if squash could think, it would be thinking that it out smarted me and got away. Well....no. I saw it and brought it in. It was a big one.


Yes, it was BIG. Knowing that the inside would be mostly pulp and seeds I first decided that grating it was the only option. But then I remembered how I used to make stuffed zucchini boats out of smaller zucchini. I thought it might work with the BIG ONE.

So I cut in in half and removed the core and seeds and I had the perfect size boat for stuffing. We split  one boat and it was great.


                                              SAUSAGE STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS

1 pound spicy Italian sausage links, or any sausage you like
1/2 onion, chopped
1 TBSP. olive oil
1 cup marinara sauce
1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese, or any cheese you like

Zucchini, cut in half and hollowed out to make boats.

Fresh basil, chopped for topping.


Chop 1/2 large onion and saute it in 1 TBSP. olive oil until translucent.

Squeeze sausage from casings and saute with the onions until the sausage is brown but still a little pink. Drain the grease from the pan into a bowl and set aside.

Add 1 cup marinara sauce to the sausage mixture and simmer for 10 minutes.

Let the mixture cool.

Brush the inside and outside of the zucchini boat with the oil from the cooked sausage. Stuff the zucchini boat with the sausage mixture and top each boat with grated cheese.

Bake in the oven at 375~ for 30 to 45 minutes (depends on the size of the zucchini) until the zucchini is hot and the cheese has melted.

Top with chopped fresh basil and serve.


This is a easy, make it up as you go along recipe. Any sausage works and any cheese works.

If you use smaller zucchini just cut the recipe in half.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this recipe, but I would use yellow squash, just saying.

Lexi said...

Sharon...we just found some more big ones, I will make it and bring you a small sample. I KNOW you will love it.

Brittany said...

I can't wait to make this YUMMMMMMMM dying!!

Lexi said...

B, let's stuff it with our meatless meatballs.