Sunday, January 27, 2013

POLENTA WITH FRESH HERBS AND GORGONZOLA



It's time for our weekly Food Matters Project recipe. Our host this week is Sandra of Meadows Cooks. Sandra chose Mark Bittman's recipe for Polenta Cakes with Garlicky Mushrooms. The garlicky mushrooms sounded divine however I was serving mushrooms at a small dinner party this weekend so I went with a fresh herb and Gorgonzola take on this recipe.

I mixed the polenta with milk and water and stirred until it started pulling away from the sides of the pan. When it was creamy and thick, I added some Parmesan cheese, butter, and fresh herbs. Spread all of this on an oiled baking sheet in let it firm up in the fridge for a few hours. When firm, cut the polenta into squares (or any shape you want) and top with a slice of Gorgonzola cheese. Back in a 400~ oven for about 15 minutes, until the cheese has melted and is bubbling.

I would call this comfort food all dressed up! I served this as a side with a grilled beef tenderloin but this would make a fantastic appetizer.




POLENTA WITH FRESH HERBS AND GORGONZOLA

1 1/2 cups coarse cornmeal
3 cups water
3/4 cup milk
1 TBSP. chopped fresh basil
1 TBSP. chopped fresh thyme
1 TBSP. chopped fresh rosemary
5 TBSP. grated Parmesan cheese
2 1/2 TBSP. butter or olive oil
8 oz. Gorgonzola

Put the cornmeal and a pinch of salt in a large saucepan. Slowly whisk in the water and milk until smooth. Set the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking continuously. Lower heat and whisk until thick, 10-15 minutes.

Remove from heat and whisk in the butter (or olive oil) Parmesan cheese, and fresh herbs.

Lightly oil a baking sheet and pour polenta onto the pan. Spread with a spatula until about 1/2 inch thick. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (about 2 hours).

Preheat oven to 400~. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Cut firm polenta into squares or any shape you like. Top each square with a slice of Gorgonzola cheese. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has melted and is bubbly.

For our other members take on the recipe click here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this combination...and gorgonzola....yumm! So making this tonight because I have a gorgonzola with my name on it in the refrigerator!

Angie @ Island Plate

Unknown said...

oh my goodness! gorgonzola goodness! yum!

www.dinnerwithaura.com said...

This looks so delicious! I think mine could have used some cheese or herbs...was a little bland. The mushrooms and squash definitely brought flavor but I bet it would have tasted better with cheese! The second time I made this (leftovers) I added cream to the mushrooms and it was great!

Lexi said...

Thanks Angie!

Lexi said...

This was a great combo Aura!

Meg @ FledglingFoodie.com said...

We made opposite halves of this one -- you did the polenta, I did the mushrooms! Love that you thought to use cheese; I'm totally doing that when I make the polenta.

Anonymous said...

Love the gorgonzola idea, didn't even think of that (next time!). And with all of the herbs, I'm sure this was delicious!